Sunday, May 27, 2012

Blast from my past

The other day I stumbled upon some old pictures of when I was part of the Whathehell team and I thought it worthwhile to share them with you.

The pictures were of when we traveled to Mooresville, N.C., to take delivery of Jason Line's old GTO.  We had bought it from KB racing and crew chief Rob Downing lowered a Kaase 822 hemi in it for us. He also introduced us to Jeff Dobbins, who would become our "life line"... and still is.

The picture sequence from the left:

At this stage I was still unaware of the steep learning curve that awaited me, for I had never driven a drag race car before, let alone a Mountain Motor Pro Stock. In retrospect, this wasn't the best way to do it and I shouldn't have let them talk me into it.

Jon Kaase's 822 ci hemi engine, with intake and two set's of split dominators. I remember the heads as being huge, unlike anything I had seen before. The normally aspirated engine cranked some 1.800 plus hp, however, the exact number was never divulged to me.

Before taking delivery, Rob and Jason made sure that everything worked properly and started the engine to prove it was. Great group of guys!

KB Racing's operation in Mooresville comprises a seriously large hanger, big enough to hold a couple of large car and equipment trailers and every other equipment necessary to make them the team to beat on any given Sunday.







For those of you who are not die-hard race fans, Mooresville is also known as "Race City USA" because it has the biggest concentration of racing teams, engine builders and suppliers in the country, not only for drag racing but for Nascar and many other forms of racing as well.

Pictures: own library.

No comments:

Post a Comment