Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Battle of the Best - day 3

Official event poster
I am writing this a couple of months after the race. Extremely tired, I had put it off until the next day and completely forgotten about it.

Today the track's traction was much better than last night's and both King Kong V and Zapato Grande 3 moved up on the qualifying sheet.

Looking to avoid making the same mistake which led the loss against King Kong 4 a week earlier, I raised my seating position in the car. Being skinnier than the average forty-year-old has its cons.

The semi final round had us running against Venezuela's Zapato Grande 3, a Rick Jones built Ford Mustang with a 822 c.i. engine with no less than three (possibly four) stages of NOS and an automatic transmission. Obviously we were at a big disadvantage, even considering his lane choice had us running out of the right lane.

The race itself was quite eventful for me. When staging the car I noticed the line lock brake pressure kept falling. Unfortunately we had suffered an oil leakage in the brake system. What more can I say, I gave it a go even-though I knew I'd have trouble slowing down at the far end.
I left with a hole shot but driving through my own "oil down" from the leaking brake system caused the car to move to the left violently enough for me to get out of it.
Luckily as well, for who knows how that race might have ended for me.

Out of the race, we packed up everything and enjoyed the races. In the final of the Top Gun class,
Zapato Grande 3 outran King Kong 5 who cooked the tires at the starting line.

The Battle of the Best races was a great International drag race competition and we sure hope the organizers will hold one again in 2013. To see pictures of this race, please click here.

Thanks for reading and see you at the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment