Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Curacao Drag Fest - Day 1

Henry Ford said it best, "Before everything else, getting ready is the secret to success".  And so it was.

Looking back on the first day at the track, I must say it went pretty well. Of course, there were the small mistakes which were in essence avoidable, such as the driver (me) not taping up the shift light and then, as he went down the track, being startled each time the shift light came on. You should have been there to understand.

At first I was just trying to get the feel back, after all, I hadn't driven a mountain motor pro stock in almost two years. The first attempt at a pass ended prematurely when I had to lift due to the car getting out of the grove and moving hard to the center. Still, we had 60 ft of 1.02 seconds, which confirmed that we were running the correct clutch set up for the track conditions. Running a skeleton crew of three (driver included) meant that our turn around time was longer than usual, however, still quite effective.

The second attempt at a pass ended early as well, as the car moved to the center again. Even though my intention was to just go through third gear, I felt the car move a lot and not wanting to tempt fate I backed off earlier than expected. To my amazement, we still covered the 1/4 mile in 6.94 seconds.

The video below shows this run, which starts at the one minute mark.



Only two passes were allocated to us on this day and I must admit that I was very happy to dive into the six second zone so quickly.

Pictures courtesy of Roy Rojer, Priscilla Lotman.

No comments:

Post a Comment